Friday, March 31, 2006

It's been a long while since I posted anything -- I blame work and the winter doldrums for this. Recently I picked up this on www.yourmusic.com -- outstanding Miles Davis funkiness! Live at the Cellar Door, in Washington DC in 1971. 6 cds of three concert nights. Not meant to be absorbed in one sitting, but it is more involving than some of the previous box sets of Miles, where the alternate takes, breaks, and conversation can be a bit much, even for a Miles fan like myself. I get them because I can have the music in nice compact boxes. This one documents what was originally the "Live Evil" album, and is the best of Miles' forays into jazz rock -- one of the best examples of a time where music boundaries and definitions of what one genre should sound like were dissolving. Listen to Miles' punctuations and the heavy funky bass and drum lines. Check it out!

No comments: